Machakos Senator Boniface Kabaka is dead

Machakos Senator Boniface Kabaka. [PHOTO | FILE]
Machakos Senate Bonface Kabaka

Machakos Senator Boniface Kabaka is dead.

Kabaka died while receiving treatment at the Nairobi Hospital. The Kenyan online understands that Kabaka was removed from the hospital’s ICU facility at 10:50am Friday, December 11.

The senator’s two widows, children and other family members were present during the exercise. The family, thereafter, held a meeting before they could break the news to the public.

The lawmaker was admitted to Nairobi Hospital’s intensive care unit on December 4 after he fell ill in a Kilimani apartment.

Kabaka, who checked into the apartment on December 3, was reported to have developed a sudden headache, prompting a friend he was with, Esther Muli, to alert the apartment’s management, who called an ambulance and rushed the senator to Nairobi Hospital while in critical condition.

Kabaka was reported to have vomited, prompting authorities to investigate a possible poisoning. Muli was consequently arrested in connection with the legislator’s sudden ailing.

A medical report of the analysis of Kabaka’s vomit samples, however, ruled foul play after the Government Chemist on Wednesday communicated that there were no toxins in the senator’s vomitus.

READ  Nairobi Governor Sonko rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH)

Muli, who was being held in lawful custody at the Kilimani Police Station, was consequently released on cash bail, upon the orders of a Nairobi court.

A report on the December 3 and December 4 incidents reveal that Kabaka checked into 3Dee Apartment on Elgeyo-Marakwet Road at around 2pm. One hour later – 3pm – he was joined by 45-year-old Esther Muli, a widow who works as a teacher at a Makueni secondary school.

The two would, thereafter, leave for Room 306, where they spent a better part of December 3 afternoon and evening. The report further states that the pair, using telephone devices in their room, ordered food and drinks, which were taken to them.

That service marked the last time the apartment staff members were interacting with Kabaka and Muli before he was taken ill a few hours past midnight.

A few minutes past 2am on December 4, Muli is said to have alerted the apartment employees that her company, Kabaka, had developed a sudden headache, and his health condition was worrying by the minute.

READ  How detectives trailed Sonko for 14 hours before arrest

Muli said she gave Kabaka paracetamol tablets, but his health condition did not improve.

Police officers from Kilimani post, who were alerted about the incident, rushed to 3Dee Apartment and collected evidence, which was submitted to the Government Chemist for analysis. A December 4 police report on the incident described some of the evidence as “perishable”.

Kabaka, a first-time senator, won the Machakos senatorial race in the August 8, 2017 general election. Running on a Chama Cha Uzalendo (CCU) Party ticket, Kabaka defeated Wiper Party’s Jackson Kalla. Kalla would later file an appeal in court against Kabaka’s win.

On February 2, 2018, the High Court upheld Kabaka’s victory in the Machakos senatorial contest.

Judge David Kemei, in his judgement, threw out Kalla’s petition, saying the challenger did not present sufficient evidence to back his claims of election fraud.

In his court papers, Kalla argued that forms 38A relied on by the electoral board to declare Kabaka the victor, did not have signatures and that some of the forms lacked security features. Kalla also alleged that his agents were denied access to the polling stations.

READ  New UDA office to be commissioned in Nyeri town

Following the petition loss, Kalla was ordered to pay Ksh2 million in costs each to Kabaka and the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here