Student dies of injuries in Kisii after being beaten by prefect: Sources


One student at St Joseph’s Nyabigena Secondary in Gucha South Kisii died on Monday morning under unclear circumstances just a day after students returned from mid-term.

The student, was registered in form three Green stream is alleged to have died while being rushed to the nearby Tabaka Mission Hospital.

The Hospital Administration could not address the media saying the matter was under investigation.

The Kenyan Online has since learnt that the late was the only son in their family with his only sister still in primary. Her mother is said to have died in 2015 and has a good Samaritan has been paying his school fees.

According to our sources in the school, the student collapsed and died after he was slapped severally by one of the school prefects, a form four student.

“The deceased was reading a Bible some few minutes to 7am. The prefect came in and after an altercation with the deceased he slapped and kicked him on the stomach after which he immediately collapsed,” said one of the students.

As the school Principal Mr Mathew Simiyu addressed the students even as the deceased’s class mates boycotted lunch at the School.

READ  Father kills man after finding him with his ‘missing’ teen daughter

After the address, the students beckoned on the Journalists saying they were willing to share to the authorities on what had transpired in the school early on Tuesday morning.

Detectives from Nyamarambe Police Station questioned the school Deputy Principal who is alleged to have been in the school during the incident.

Parents who had arrived at the school told the Standard that they have on several occasions during parents meetings raised the issue on prefects beating up other students.

“My son informed me of the prefects have tendency of beating up other students in the school. This issue should be investigated further,” said one of the parents who just escorted his son to school on Tuesday afternoon.

The deceased’s father was not allowed to talk to the media at the hospital even as the County Police Commander Martin Kibet confirmed the death of the juvenile and called for calm.

“We are aware of the incident and we will allow detectives to carry out investigations before we conclude on what caused the death.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here